frdanheadshotFr. Dan Bergbower currently serves as the Pastor of St. Mary Parish and Chaplain for SIUE Newman Center.  He has been happily assigned here since April 2012.  As Pastor of souls he shepherds with his parish family as they journey together into a deeper understanding of the mystery of Christ working in and through the People of God here in this parish family.

Fr. Dan received a Masters of Divinity from Kenrick Seminary in 1988 and was ordained as a Diocesan Priest for the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois in 1988.  His pastoral assignments include:  St. Ambrose, Godfrey; Our Lady of Lourdes, Decatur; Sacred Heart, Effingham; and St. Peter, Quincy.  Additionally he has served as a Catholic Chaplain in the Illinois Air National Guard from 1986 to 2013 with numerous deployments with the US Air Force in South West Asia (Middle East).

FrDan50

Fr. Dan has continued his theological education at Aquinas Institute of Theology in St. Louis, MO.  To this end he has received a Degree Certificate in Spiritual Direction and is currently engaged in a Degree Certificate in Scriptural Studies.

In October 2013, St. Mary’s celebrated Fr. Dan’s 25-year Jubilee as a priest and his retirement from the Air National Guard as a Lieutenant Colonel.

cemeteryworkersIn addition to his pastoral duties to the parish, Fr. Dan enjoys supporting, growing, and staying involved in St. Mary’s School. In fact, his regular visits to the “Hall of Truth” (the primary classrooms), as well as the rest of the K-8 school, are frequently incorporated into his sermons.

Fr. Dan has established religious adult education programs at St. Mary’s. Hiring a Director of Religious Education, initiating a successful Christ Renews His Parish program, and promoting scripture study have contributed to the knowledge and faith of the St. Mary’s parishioners. As the approachable, friendly shepherd of our parish, Fr. Dan truly pours his heart into his vocation and love for his flock.


1802 Madison Avenue · Edwardsville, IL 62025 · 618-656-4857 · © St. Mary’s Parish